Projector and Glass Slides Collection

UploadHave you ever heard of a Magic Lantern? The magic lantern is the forerunner of the modern slide projector. The first magic lantern was developed in the 17th century. The ones pictured here are early 20th century. There has been some debate about who the original inventor of the magic lantern is. The magic lantern has a bowl-shaped mirror in front of a light source that gathers light and projects it through a glass slide with an image scanned onto it. The light rays cross an “aperture” (which is an opening at the front of the apparatus), and hit a lens. The lens throws an enlarged picture of the original image from the slide onto a screen. The Department of Archives and Special Collections has a glass slide projector and more than 30,000 glass slides used by early Adventist evangelists in addition to those used by early Loma Linda University faculty.  After the closure of the American Medical Missionary College in 1910, the Loma Linda board decided to purchase the medial slides from Battle Creek Sanitarium and add them to the existing collection.

Glass Slide Convert 037

News about Ellen G. White Annotation Project

Ellen G White, circa 1878

Ellen G White, circa 1878

Several years ago the Ellen G. White Estate has began a project of preparing several volumes of annotations (or providing context) for Ellen G. White’s letters and manuscripts. Initially, the task was assigned to Dr. Roland Karlman, based at Newbold College in England, who has been working on the first volume for several years. The task has proven to be, however, much larger and time consuming than expected. Nevertheless, the first volume is expected to come out of the press sometime this year (2013). Since Dr. Karlman has announced his retirement at the end of 2012, Stan Hickerson, a Seventh-day Adventist pastor of the Stevensville Church in Michigan and a researcher in Adventist history, has been named to replace Karlman and continue the annotation project. Hickerson has begun officially his new responsibilities in January 2013. His office is located at the Center for Adventist Research, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Michigan. We wish him and the annotation team success as they continue working on this important project.