Locavore Day xxx: Not quite finished

Hi, it’s been a week since my last entry, and I want you to know that I believe I am converted. While I have not blogged for a while, I nonetheless continue to enjoy the experiment. Last Friday I went to Goodwin’s in Riverside. Goodwin’s is an organic store, with a deli and coffee shop. I purchased a free range, cage free chicken from Mary’s Farms. On Mary’s Web Site, a description of the growing conditions for the birds go something like this:
Mary’s Free-Range California Bronze Air Chilled Chickens are raised with the highest standards. They are grown on a pasture field in the sunny valley of California. These chickens have places to perch. They are given areas to dust bathe. These chickens are treated with great respect and compassion. Mary’s Free-Range California Bronze Air Chilled Chickens are a slower growing breed, taking more time to grow before being sent to market. These chickens are living a lifestyle and environment that is closest to their natural state.
I purchased a bird that weighed close to four pounds, and liberally applied Wye River and Emerill’s seasoning. Now I paid close to $10 for the chicken, but folks, it provided the basis for my dinner meals over five evenings, and two lunches. Coupled with locally grown vegetables, I looked forward to the culinary experience each day. The flavor of this chicken is distinctively different from industrial processed ones, what an awesome taste bud experience. While the bird was raised outside of my 100 mile zone, it certainly was raised in California.
For more information about Marys’ go to: http://www.maryschickens.com/

4 Responses to “Locavore Day xxx: Not quite finished”

1. Rebecca Says:

Buying local is a great way to help out your neighbors.

2. Robert Peterson Says:

Dr. D,

Haven’t seen you at the pool lately but good to see you busy with this project. I have been following your journey with interest. Since I retired (Riverside County Health Dept.) I have become more active in growing my own food. In fact my goal is to grow 50% of what we eat in 3 years. We have a good crop of tomatoes this year and melons did quite well. Are you familiar with the California Rare Fruit Growers Club that meets in Riverside monthly? The fall/winter garden will have snow peas, onions, carrots, lettuce, beets potaoes and other crops as well as citrus and avocados. Am tempted to try mangoes since I grew them when I lived in Hawaii. Hope you make it into Sharkfest next year. It is a great challenge and a lot of fun. Keep up the good work. Bob

3. Karen Holmes Says:

Just curious… did you continue on?… do you still buy local? did you become a convert?… it’s been almost a year now…
    I’m not really sure how I got into your blog – I was doing research for an article, and I stumbled upon your year-old entries and started appreciating the reading and information. Then I became curious about what happened to the rest of the story…
    I’m not really expecting a response, since it seems that I arrived a little late to this party. Still, I had fun… thanks.
    Now I intend to enjoy a Cara Cara orange. Cheers! -k.

4. ddyjack Says:

Karen,

thanks for your post, and yes, I still purchase local, but with a twist. I now live in Maryland, where locally gown fruits and vegetables are difficult to acquire year round. I even travelled to the famed Maryland eastern shore, but alas, the farmers markets are closed in winter….I have family in Florida, we often visit the farmers market in Mt. Dora, the locally grown sweet corn is unbelievable, it doesn’t require cooking, you can eat it freshly shucked. Here in Maryland, there is a nearby fish market, where I purchase sustainably harvested Chesapeake Bay perch and striped bass caught in local waters. I have also elected to purchase my clothing if it is assembled in the US, or a country with human rights. Thats right, no purchases from China. There is a book (A year without China) that is average in style and presentation, and is only worth noting because of the author’s story – trying to spend a year without purchasing anything made in China. Borrow it or get it from library – a literary gem it is not.
    I am so jealous – eat a cara cara for me.
    Dr.D.

Post a Comment