Day 18: What is all this Chive?

The pace is relentless, but something new to report, Ms. Krystal Boyce (one of our students) shared with me some herbs grown right outside the School of Public Health. Evidently she and Chef Corey have a small plot which contains among other things, chives, curry, and dill weed. While I am finishing my homemade stew of fresh local turnips, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, brilliant tiny potatoes of various shapes and sizes, and Brussels sprouts, all pulled together with a liquid base comprised of curry powder, coconut milk and fresh black pepper, I will try and be nimble and come up with a creative use of the herbs. Man, fresh salmon with dill……….alright, I’ll have to avoid the temptation.

I encountered an article in the New York Times this evening written by John Tierney, I have copied and pasted some of his thoughts below, evidently not everyone is convinced………

3. “Let them eat organic” is not a global option. For affluent humans in industrialized countries, organic food is pretty much a harmless luxury. Although there’s no convincing evidence that the food is any healthier or more nutritious than other food, if that label makes you feel healthier and more virtuous, then you can justify the extra cost.
But most people in the world are not affluent, and their food budgets are limited. If they’re convinced by green marketers that they need to choose higher-priced organic produce, they and their children are liable to end up eating fewer fruits and vegetables — and sometimes nothing at all, as occurred when Zambia rejected emergency food for starving citizens because the grain had been genetically engineered.
In “Denialism,” a book about the spread of unscientific beliefs, Michael Specter criticizes the “organic fetish” as a “pernicious kind of denialism” being exported to poor countries.
“Total reliance on organic farming would force African countries to devote twice as much land per crop as we do in the United States,” he writes. “An organic universe sounds delightful, but it could consign millions of people in Africa and throughout much of Asia to malnutrition and death.”
4. Frankenfood, like Frankenstein, is fiction. The imagined horrors of “frankenfoods” have kept genetically engineered foods out of Europe and poor countries whose farmers want to export food to Europe. Americans, meanwhile, have been fearlessly growing and eating them for more than a decade — and the scare stories seem more unreal than ever.
Last week, the National Academy of Sciences reported that genetically engineered foods had helped consumers, farmers and the environment by lowering costs, reducing the use of pesticide and herbicide, and encouraging tillage techniques that reduce soil erosion and water pollution.
“I daresay the environmental movement has done more harm with its opposition to genetic engineering than with any other thing we’ve been wrong about,” Mr. Brand writes in “Whole Earth Discipline.” “We’ve starved people, hindered science, hurt the natural environment, and denied our own practitioners a crucial tool.”

One Response to “Day 18: What is all this Chive?”

1. istudyherbs Says:

Hi Dr. D,

My name is Danielle and I was browsing Loma Linda’s site when I saw your blog (my spouse is considering applying for admission there). We just recently moved from Ithaca (by way of Cornell University) where he served as that Executive Chef of Catering. During his tenure there, he he was instrumental in creating opportunities for the local farmers and vineyards to “do big business” with the institution.

This experience was lifechanging in so many different levels ranging from business to nutrition. Our eating habits have changed dramatically so much so I cannot fathom the idea of going back to a “regular” grocer. It only took two experiences to catapult us into change (create a meal using only locally grown produce and create one without it. Secondly, watch Food, Inc.). Thank you for sharing this blog with the community and teaching me a new term “locavore”…All the Best!

Post a Comment