GLBH GRADUATE: Silvia M. Trigoso

Recent graduate, Silvia M. Trigoso MPH, works with CDC as a Public Health Prevention Service (PHPS) Fellow.

Silvia M. Trigoso graduated from the LLU GLBH department with an MPH in 2009. She focused on Global Health and Emergency Preparedness & Response. While at LLUSPH she was able to gain a variety of professional experiences through the guidance and mentorship of various faculty members from the Global Health Department.

From 2007 to 2008, Silvia led the design and implementation of the Living Healthier Pilot Study, a bilingual nutrition and exercise intervention for homeless men and women living with HIV and AIDS within San Bernardino’s Central City Lutheran Mission community. Silvia also continues to offer support to her home country by providing programmatic assistance to an ongoing oral health project implemented by the Chijnaya Foundation and the Peruvian American Dental Association in Chijnaya, an agrarian community in Peru’s Altiplano. This project stems from her fieldwork conducted on Peru ICD 2008. In 2009, as part of her field practicum, Silvia developed tobacco-control advocacy material for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids in Washington, D.C., a non-profit organization funded under the Bloomberg Initiative, which garners support for comprehensive tobacco-control policy implementation in low and middle-income countries.

Currently, Silvia resides in Atlanta where she is a Public Health Prevention Service (PHPS) Fellow at the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC). PHPS is a 3-year training and service fellowship for master’s level public health professionals. The fellowship focuses on public health program management and provides experience in program planning, implementation, and evaluation through specialized hands-on training and mentorship at CDC, and in state and local health organizations. As part of her first CDC rotation, Silvia is a member of the Program Evaluation Team with the Division of Tuberculosis Elimination where she coordinates and participates on various activities put forth by the Tuberculosis Program Evaluation Network. Additionally, Silvia is in the process of completing an evaluation of the tuberculosis-control program evaluations plans submitted by 68 jurisdictions (i.e. 50 states, 10 big cities, and 8 island/territories) of the United States, which will prove useful for the technical support the evaluation team provides jurisdictions.

Silvia is willing to to talk to current and prospective students.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to GLBH GRADUATE: Silvia M. Trigoso

1. Ghislain says:

Sincerely admiring the traininig/work you went through while studying for your MPH.
    I am a military medical emergency specialist and soldier currently deployed in Iraq.
    I have a strong interest in Global Health with a particular attention to Population Health,Development and Humanitarian relief works with focus in poor countries.
    I am not sure when I will start my application, but I am considering Loma Linda as my top choice.
    I will appreciate if you could provide me with links to lecturers who are involved in population health programs.
    What is the best description of a MPH program that involve Population Health and/or Development and Humanitarian relief ?
    I hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology.
    Be safe as the year 2011 starts and evolves and thanks in advance for any reply.

• Silvia Trigoso says:

Thank you for your post. I would encourage you to begin your MPH program search at the Schools of Public Health website (http://www.sophas.org/). There you can see the listings of the schools and their respective programs and perhaps see an MPH program that specifically offers the concentration you are interested in.
      As for professors and lectures on population health, please contact the Loma Linda University, School of Public Health, Dept of Global Health at (909) 558-4902. Each professor in the department has a different area of expertise and many have worked internationally.
      Good luck!

2. Cooking Club says:

Sylvia should be highly praised for her work in nutrition with the underprivileged. There is indeed a great need there.

3. Laura says:

Hello Sylvia,

I see that this post was posted a long time ago, but hopefully you still read it.

I just started my MPH-Global Health in LLU and would love to get in touch with you for some guidance as my interests are many within the field, but I would like to find a clear focus.
    It would be nice to know how you navigated your way around the Global Health Department into finding great opportunities.

4. Silvia Trigoso says:

Hello Laura,
    Thank you for your post and I apologize for the delayed response. I would love to email or chat with you to answer your questions. I don’t feel comfortable displaying my email on the Internet but many of the LLUSPH Global Health professors are aware of my current contact information. Please feel free to request it so that we may get in touch. Best, S.